My new friend, Jen Houlette over at http://engageinspirelead.blogspot.com/ surprised me this weekend by nominating me for a Liebster Award. (Thank you, Jen!) While honored, my 1st thought was: “What is the “Liebster Award?” I discovered that the Liebster Award doesn’t seem to hold any clout other than PR. Its primary purpose: simply a way to discover new blogs with very few followings. Nonetheless, it’s an honor to receive any kind of recognition for my new adventure in blogging.
Official rules for the Liebster award
- List 11 random facts about yourself.
- Answer the questions designated by the blogger(s) who nominated you.
- Place YOUR nominations for the Liebster Award! Nominate five (or more) other bloggers that have less than 200 followers. Make sure to notify them via comment/email, etc.
- Make up a set of questions for those nominated bloggers to answer.
- Display the Liebster award badge on your blog!
11 Random Facts About Me
1. I love music. It is my happy place. Sometimes sad, but mostly happy.
2. I love reading. But I didn’t always. Not until I was a “grown-up”. Kinda sad.
3. I’ve moved way too many times. It is NEVER fun.
4. I can’t sing, but I still do.
5. I have a Twitter addiction at the moment.
6. I chew a LOT of gum.
7. Exercise is an important part of my life. It’s a mental thing.
8. I love live sporting events.
9. I could listen to Coldplay all day.
10. I have two incredible boys that keep me very busy.
11. I just received my Masters in Reading–online, which worked perfectly for me!
11 Questions asked by Jen Houlette: (Thanks again for the nomination!)http://engageinspirelead.blogspot.com/
1) What made you decide to become a teacher?
My mother. Her encouragement and foresight inspired me to discover myself through teaching. (Thanks mom!)
2) What children’s book is your favorite?
That’s not a fair question—too many to choose from. Here’s a few:
Told you it was hard to pick just one!
3) If you went back to school, what degree or endorsement would you pursue?
I would want a degree in Literacy Coaching and a degree in Educational Technology. Twitter has inspired my passion for new tech. Also love the idea of getting my PhD–Dr. Priddy sounds so nice 😉
4) If you wrote a book, what would it be about?
Whoah, that’s a tough one. Maybe strategies and mentor texts, but that pretty much already exists.
5) What website, app, or other technology tool could you not live without?
Twitter, note-taking app, smart phone calendar.
6) If you were given $500 to spend on your classroom, what would you buy?
Why more books, of course…and ways to organize all the literacy.
7) What teacher was your favorite and why?
My favorite teacher Ms. Sexton, 10th grade Social Studies. She made learning fun and relevant.
8) What is the name of a book you are currently reading?
9) Describe your ideal classroom space.
Modern, organized, clean, open, many tables for collaboration, Smartboard, many computers/laptops, video cameras/flip cameras for recording, many shelves for books, white boards but plenty of space for anchor charts, student centered, book nooks with comfy chairs throughout the room, music playing in the background from the iPod station…one can dream.
10) What would you be doing with your life if you weren’t teaching?
Continue being a mom, volunteering at the school in any way, sharing through my blog/FB page, Twitter
11) Why did you decide to start writing a blog?
Blogging for me is definitely outside of my comfort zone. Writing is not a strength, but reflection is–I am always thinking and analyzing and critiquing myself. Blogging is a way to show vulnerability, grow through writing, and share what I’m learning.
I am nominating 5 of my blogger friends from the #10summerblogs challenge, which inspired me to start blogging.
1. Ben Kuhlman http://www.benkuhlman.com/ Teaching Writing and Writing Teaching
2. Diane Peterson http://dianepetersonsite.wordpress.com/ The Real Deal
3. John Hines http://coachhinesblogs.com/ Coach Hines Blogs
4. Lori London http://davis7science.blogspot.com/ Science is Everywhere
5. Dorothy Suskind http://www.junglegymnegotiations.com/ Jungle Gym Negotiations
My Questions for Nominee’s:
1. What are you currently reading?
2. Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
3. What song would be playing if you turned your car on right now?
4. What do you do in your down time?
5. Describe your perfect classroom.
6. Name your favorite movie.
7. What topic would you present at a conference?
8. Name someone you’d like to meet one day.
9. List your top 5 Twitter follows.
10. What is your guilty pleasure? Why?